When a crime is committed in Dawson County, and the perpetrator cannot be arrested on the spot, the police launch an investigation in the matter. This is followed by the emergence of the names of a few suspects. While the police can call these individuals in for questioning, Dawson’s active warrant is needed to detain them.
The only way to procure arrest warrants is to approach the local court that holds the jurisdiction to deliberate on criminal cases. This tribunal is presented with case-related facts in the form of a writ filed by the police, DA’s office, or the victim.
This is treated as a formal complaint that is the basis for the pre-warrant hearing. Through this trial, the court tries to ascertain that there is probable cause to deem that the incident in question was a crime and to suspect the person’s involvement in the act.
Because the judiciary and the police work hand in hand when it comes to the issue and execution of all arrest orders, including bench warrants, several state judicial system, and law enforcement divisions maintain information about outstanding warrants. So, if you want to initiate a warrant search in Dawson County, Georgia, or look for arrest records, you can start at the:
- Office of the magistrate: 25 Tucker Ave, Dawsonville, GA 30534
- Office of the sheriff: 19 Tucker Avenue, Dawsonville, Georgia 30534
- Office of the county clerk: 25 Tucker Avenue, Suite 106, Georgia, Georgia 30534
How do you get information on Dawson County active warrants and arrests over the phone? (2021- Update)
- You can use the non-emergency dispatch phone line- (706) 344-3636 for general inquiries and filing non-emergency reports.
- You can call the County jail at 706-344-3535 ext. 10201 for an inmate search and details pertaining to inmate services
- You can connect with the Sheriff’s Office at 706-344-3535 ext. 10241/10224/10191 for information on arrests
- You can contact the Records Manager at 706-344-3535 ext. 10171 to obtain arrest records, incident and accident reports.
- You can contact the detective handling your criminal complaint by calling 706-344-3535 ext. 20171.
- You can reach the Division of Civil Papers/Warrants via phone at 706-344-3500 ext. 41122 for information on arrest warrants and bench warrants
- You can contact the Dawson County Clerk of Court at 706-344-3510 for judicial records.
- You can contact the Dawson County District Attorney’s Office at 706-344-3620 or call the Victim Services Coordinator at 706-344-3500 ext. 43336 for victim/witness assistance.
Crime Statistics of Dawson County, GA
In 2019, the Dawson Sheriff’s Office received 365 criminal complaints, compared to the 466 cases that were received in 2018. There were around 330 property offenses and 30 violent crimes among the total.
Around 270 larceny thefts, 45 burglaries, and 19 motor vehicle thefts were reported under the category of property offenses. More than 20 aggravated assaults, 4 rapes, and 2 robberies were included in the category of violent crimes.
If you are wondering why you should be spending your time trying to get a glimpse into the past of an acquaintance, the fact that the annual crime rates for Dawson County in 2016 stood at well over 500 incidents should be enough reason to take the trouble.