Like the other areas of Georgia, in Miller County, arrest warrant searches can be conducted through judicial agencies or the sheriff’s offices. In terms of the latter, applicants can take their pick between the department of the county clerk of the court of the magistrate. However, before choosing an agency, it would help you understand the varying roles that they play in active warrants.
Most people assume that the police merely make arrests under the provisions of a warrant; few know that the sheriff’s department is also the petitioner for such orders along with other directives such as search warrants. When an investigation is completed, and the accused has not been detained for any reason, the police will usually choose to go in front of the court to request an active warrant.
In its parts, the magistrate’s court acts as the authority figure in the matter and decides on whether the arrest warrant ought to be granted or not. This is strictly done based on probable cause. The police have to prove that the evidence they have would be enough to convince any person of reasonable mind of the suspect’s criminal involvement.
The county clerk’s office has a role that is different than these two agencies. They merely maintain records for the judiciary. However, this is done for the criminal and the civil tribunals. So, in their court dockets repository, you will find details on Miller County arrest records, outstanding warrants, and civil litigations. To avail of this information, you can go to:
- The police: 300 W Pine St, Colquitt, Georgia 39837
- The county clerk: 155 S 1st St, Colquitt, GA 39837
- The court of the magistrate: PO Box 66, Colquitt, Georgia 39837
Who should you contact if you need information about recent arrests and warrants in Miller County? (In the year 2021)
- If you want to access information on warrants: Contact the Court of the Magistrate at 229-758-4110.
- If you want to know about recent arrests: Call the Sheriff’s Department at 229-758-3421
- If you want to inquire about the arrests and warrants connected to Colquitt PD: Contact the agency at 229-758-1006.
- If you want to learn how to access criminal case records: Contact the office of the Clerk of Court at 229-758-4102.
- If you need information on victim’s assistance: Contact the District Attorney’s Office at 229-724-3011.
Crime statistics of Miller County
In 2017, the Miller County Sheriff’s Department dealt with 45 criminal complaints. Except for one case filed against a violent crime, all others were linked to property offenses. This non-violent crime- category included 34 larceny thefts, 9 burglaries, and 1 motor vehicle theft. The single complaint against a violent crime pertained to assault.
Older crime statistics
Reports are lodged against approximately 120 criminal matters in Miller County, Georgia, every year. The violent crime rate of the area stands at about 10.5% of the annual average. In terms of property crimes, thefts were the incident category, with the maximum cases at nearly 90 instances per annum. Fortunately, there was a drop of almost 50% in the number of reported crimes in the area.